Our summer issue is online now! Included in this jam-packed issue: a big summer BBQ, a vegan makeup guide for hot days, brand new book reviews, DIY deodorant, an Orlando FL city guide, how to make a perfect vegan ice sundae bar, what to do with summer tomatoes, and much more.
Preview it online
Help support us and grab a copy for yourself
Read more about us
Contribute to our next issue (deadline 7/1/14)
We got to eat SO much BBQ & ice cream sundaes. An outta-this-world issue.
Sriracha Bloody Mary
We hope you all had a fun holiday weekend! After a summery holiday, I always find myself looking for a good hangover drink. I haven’t had a bloody mary in a long time, so I thought I was due for one this morning. This is a spicy, flavorful drink that’s totally refreshing and actually tastes really good despite its list of questionable ingredients. But that’s what makes a hangover drink great, right?
We happened to find a vegan Worcestershire sauce at our grocery store, but if you can’t find it the drink works just as well without. You could add any number of ingredients here, as almost every recipe is a little bit different. Here we added in liquid smoke, for a deeper savory flavor, and a whole-ingredient sriracha c/o Rocky Mountain Sriracha - it’s made with fresh peppers, organic garlic, agave nectar, and whole sea salt. It’s pretty wonderful and really elevates the essential component of a spicy drink like this. They’re actually doing a Kickstarter project right now, until June 14th, so get some there while you still can!
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 3 shots vodka
- 1 heaping tsp Rocky Mountain Sriracha
- 1 tsp prepared horseradish
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- few dashes liquid smoke
- juice of 1 lemon
- ice cubes
- celery salt, for the rim
- celery, for garnish (and eating)
- Juice the lemon and set aside the liquid. Pour some celery salt on a plate. Using the leftover lemon peel, run it along the outside rim of your glass and dip the rim into the celery salt, coating it.
- Place a celery stalk or two into each glass, then fill the rest of it up with ice.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and pour in the tomato juice, vodka, sriracha, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and lemon juice.
- Shake until thoroughly combined, then pour into the prepared glasses, using a strainer if you have one.
I would suggest tasting the drink before you serve it, as the levels of heat & alcohol are subjective depending on who’s drinking them, but I’ve found this recipe makes it just spicy enough and not very alcoholic-tasting. Enjoy!