All this week we’ll be coming up with easy food gifts that you don’t have to make with your oven. The first one up is this super simple peppermint chocolate bark. Click through to read how to put it all together!
As always, check labels (or company websites) to make sure the ingredients you use are vegan.
- a 24 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp mint extract
- 4-5 candy canes
- parchment or wax paper
- Line a rimmed flat baking sheet with the parchment/wax paper.
- In a double boiler (or, if you’re unequipped like me, a small pot inside a large pot filled 1/4 with water) melt your bag of chocolate chips with the mint extract, until it’s consistently smooth and creamy. Be careful to stir slowly - if you do it too fast the chocolate will seize up and become hard. (Not that I’ve ever done that or anything….)
- Meanwhile, crush the candy canes with a hammer or in a food processor/blender.
- When the chocolate’s melted, pour it into the baking sheet. Spread it out carefully until the whole pan is filled. Sprinkle the top with the crushed candy cane. If you want to keep the top very flat, lay another piece of parchment/wax paper on top and roll it with a rolling pin.
- Freeze for a few hours, at least one hour.
How I packaged these bark pieces:
- Break the bark into small pieces.
- Wrap in tissue paper, then tie it up with twine.
- Get some small gift boxes - I got mine from a craft store in the baking aisle. Before assembling, write your message on the box - I carved “to” and “from” stamps myself, but you could just as easily draw/write it out.
- Put the bark in the box, then tape it shut with some washi or decorative tape.
Make sure to keep the bark in the freezer until you plan to give it away. Hope you like this little project, and find it easy enough to make! :)