This is a warm weather classic, even a staple, here. As we gear up for spring we start getting nostalgic for cookouts and long hot afternoons on the beach. This cold pasta salad will probably end up gracing your picnic tables, too.
I don’t know about your moms, but my mom made this pasta salad for every big family event any time of the year, but mostly during hot days. It’s very basic in its construction and it’s not hard to veganize, which is even better.
- Fresh vegetables (1 cucumber, 1 bell pepper, 2 medium carrots, 4 plum tomatoes, 1 stalk celery, etc.)
- 6 cups spiral pasta
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar (red wine or apple cider)
- Fresh herbs, minced (dill, basil, oregano, thyme, lemon zest, etc.)
- 1/2 block pressed tofu & 1/4 cup crushed almonds (or just a faux block cheese)
- Cook the pasta.
- While the pasta’s cooking, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, minced herbs, and salt.
- Chop up all the vegetables to your preference. (We like sliced cucumber and diced tomato but you might be the opposite!) Toss the veg into the bowl with the liquid, stirring to coat. Let this marinate while everything else gets prepped.
- Break/chop the tofu into small bits and shake in a bag with the almonds and a bit more salt. The tofu should be coated.
- Once the pasta’s ready, strain and rinse with cold water. Once cold, mix into the vegetables and sprinkle the tofu bits in. Chill and serve!