We had a lot of fun reading and cooking through Afro Vegan, a brand new cookbook out by Bryant Terry. Our full review is in the latest issue of Chickpea Magazine, but we were also given permission to share a couple recipes from the book here with you!
I’ve been looking for a few perfect springtime BBQ recipes, and the two we picked from the book would make really wonderful sides/snacks/finger foods for a backyard cookout. We just had one of those cookouts this weekend and are so excited to cook outdoors more often. I’ll be making these for our next one!
ZA’ATAR-ROASTED RED POTATOES
Makes about 4 servings
- 2 pounds small to medium red potatoes, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons za’atar, homemade (page 15) or store-bought
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Toss until the potatoes are evenly coated. Transfer to the lined baking sheet and spread, cut side down, in a single layer (no need to clean the bowl). Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the za’atar, thyme, oregano, salt, and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the reserved bowl and stir well to combine.
- Transfer the potatoes to the bowl (leave the oven on) and toss gently until evenly coated. Return the potatoes, cut side up, to the baking sheet and spread in a single layer. Bake for about 15 minutes, until fork-tender.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with the lemon juice and season with black pepper and, if desired, more salt. Serve at room temperature.
These potatoes are so perfectly seasoned and crispy - I’ll be making these quite often from now on.
SAUTEED SUGAR SNAP PEAS WITH SPRING HERBS
Makes about 4-6 servings
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced cilantro
- 1 ½ teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 ½ pound sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds, toasted (see sidebar, page 119)
- Put the chives, parsley, and cilantro in a small bowl and mix well.
- Put about 12 cups of water in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of the salt, then add the sugar snap peas and blanch for 30 seconds. Drain well.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the peas and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, increase the heat to high, and cook, shaking the pan and tossing vigorously, for about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a large bowl, add the orange zest and lemon juice, and toss until the peas are evenly coated. Serve topped with the chive mixture, a few grinds of white pepper, and the sesame seeds.
These are the simplified versions of the full recipes from the book, which I highly suggest checking out. (It’s available digitally and in print, for those of you who don’t want physical books.) I think his stories & recipe accompaniments are the best parts of the book, along with all of the whole foods, perfectly-spiced recipes of course.
Reprinted with permission from Afro-Vegan by Bryant Terry, copyright (c) 2014. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.
- lizecrane likes this
- mc74 likes this
- ht787 likes this
- marketpehova reblogged this from hipsterfood
- sadie-ah likes this
- mangoandsnow likes this
- ninja-jellybeans37 likes this
- fitfoodieforever reblogged this from hipsterfood
- mayrahoez likes this
- hajaram likes this
- istealpencilsatikea likes this
- blessang reblogged this from hipsterfood and added:
- alexcetera likes this
- blank-stares-at-blank-pages likes this
- mygoodness-myguinness likes this
- turquoiseturkeys likes this
- butterflyshurricane likes this
- felldowntherabbitholetwice likes this
- nickfousk likes this
- soundofaspark reblogged this from hipsterfood
- soundofaspark likes this
- amnfang likes this
- rosesareredlove reblogged this from hipsterfood
- rosesareredlove likes this
- freshproducequeen likes this
- she-has-a-moist-vagina likes this
- waitingontheedgeofolympus reblogged this from hipsterfood
- waitingontheedgeofolympus likes this
- amorb reblogged this from sunshine-and-sandyfeet
- sunshine-and-sandyfeet reblogged this from hipsterfood
- shelbyyashtonn likes this
- cowshorsesandgardenias reblogged this from hipsterfood
- axexc likes this
- cosmiccoyoterouge reblogged this from hipsterfood and added:
- misssuperlady likes this
- sunshyne90 likes this
- sadvegangirl420 likes this
- putyourgreenon reblogged this from hipsterfood
- thepincushionhouse reblogged this from scottishwallace
- not-far-off reblogged this from h-o-r-n-g-r-y
- toofarforgotten90 reblogged this from h-o-r-n-g-r-y
- food-for-the-people reblogged this from hipsterfood
- ninjadinos99 likes this
- bubblegummie likes this
- detty-yetty likes this
- nafarius likes this
- thisgirlinboots likes this
- scottishwallace reblogged this from a-mors
- soir-dans-les-montagnes likes this
- inquoviva likes this