quickie chocolate peppermint rice krispie treats~~
- Put 5-6 candy canes into a sealable bag. Using a heavy bottle or hammer, crush up the canes. Set aside.
- Spray or parchment-line a medium cake/casserole pan.
- Toss a carton of Sweet & Sara vanilla marshmallows, 1/4 cup of vegan butter/margarine, and a few drops of peppermint or mint extract into a pot on medium heat. Let it all get melty together, about 5 minutes, stirring every so often as to keep things from burning. (The vegan marshmallows won’t melt like gelatin-based marshmallows, just sort of become really gooey. They end up with the same great outcome, though.)
- Pour in about half a box (regular size, not giant) of Rice Krispies (or generic version - that’s what we use) and gently stir everything together with a wooden spoon. Toss in a handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips. (Check the label, but most versions are dairy-free.) Stir until combined.
- Pour into the cake pan and sprinkle on the crushed peppermint. Using a small piece of parchment paper, flatten the peppermint into the krispies until everything is flat and stuck together.
- Let set for about an hour, then dig in. Enjoy! We love love love the quality of the S&S marshmallows, better than any gelatin-marshmallows we used to have.
Cookies are my absolute favorite dessert. Even so, I’ve had my share of lackluster ones - bland, dry, hard as rocks. But these cookies, THESE are something special. With a soft cocoa cookie base, crispy crunchy oats, a slight hint of coconut, and the perfect amount of salt, these are cookies you’ll eat right up in no time.