sometimes the simplest food can be the most delicious and appealing. take advantage of tomatoes in the summertime - when winter comes around, you’ll be missing them!
this simple salad is one of my favorite food staples. fresh, light greens, chopped herbs, thin-sliced cucumber, grape tomatoes, and some crumbled spiced tofu make for some tasty summer eating.
i usually crumble some super firm (not extra firm, super firm, the kind by wildwood) tofu and shake it in a bag with some salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, and sesame seeds.
finish it off with a quick dressing of one part vinegar, two parts oil, and your fav herbs and S&P.
breakfast at the campsite: tomatoes roasted in tinfoil, wilted spinach, and fresh (made beforehand) cinnamon bread
we had a super fun weekend:
how was yours?
asparagus, cashew, and greens pizza
i’m always putting off making pizza dough from scratch, but this recipe was so easy and fast i had to try it! i’m sure i’ll make proper dough (the kind you knead and give time to rise) in the future but i couldn’t help it, i want pizza nowwww.
- mix together 1 tbsp yeast with 1/2 cup warm water, until dissolved. let it stand for about five minutes.
- add in 1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp oil or melted earth balance, and 1 1/4 cups flour. stir until it’s a consistent dough.
- roll the dough out onto a floured countertop, and place it on a flat pan or stone.
- on top of the dough, brush some olive oil, spread on some finely minced garlic, and add on some fresh (or dried) herbs - for this pizza i used the last of our fresh thyme and tarragon.
- bake at 425F for 5 minutes.
- add on cut asparagus and little bits of cashew cheese. put it back in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the bottom (and some of the top!) is golden brown.
sprinkle some shredded greens (i used radish greens) on top of the finished pizza. cut carefully with a very sharp knife, or a pizza roller, if you’re feeling fancy. this dough recipe makes 1 small-medium pizza, so if you’re looking to feed more than one or two people, i suggest doubling it.
i LOVED this pizza because the asparagus was perfectly cooked, the cashew cheese was a little browned on the outside, while still moist on the inside, and the garlic and herbs smelled so good. hope you enjoy it too!