quickie chocolate peppermint rice krispie treats~~
- Put 5-6 candy canes into a sealable bag. Using a heavy bottle or hammer, crush up the canes. Set aside.
- Spray or parchment-line a medium cake/casserole pan.
- Toss a carton of Sweet & Sara vanilla marshmallows, 1/4 cup of vegan butter/margarine, and a few drops of peppermint or mint extract into a pot on medium heat. Let it all get melty together, about 5 minutes, stirring every so often as to keep things from burning. (The vegan marshmallows won’t melt like gelatin-based marshmallows, just sort of become really gooey. They end up with the same great outcome, though.)
- Pour in about half a box (regular size, not giant) of Rice Krispies (or generic version - that’s what we use) and gently stir everything together with a wooden spoon. Toss in a handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips. (Check the label, but most versions are dairy-free.) Stir until combined.
- Pour into the cake pan and sprinkle on the crushed peppermint. Using a small piece of parchment paper, flatten the peppermint into the krispies until everything is flat and stuck together.
- Let set for about an hour, then dig in. Enjoy! We love love love the quality of the S&S marshmallows, better than any gelatin-marshmallows we used to have.
We normally like to make everything we use ourselves, but sometimes we find items from others that are so good that we end up using them all the time. Here are some of our favorite new finds from over the past year.